Four years after graduating from Smith Cotton High School (Sedalia, Missouri) in 1963, Johnny became a Baylor University BA graduate in 1967 majoring in Political Science and minoring in Oral Communication. Dr. Glen Capp was his favorite Baylor professor. Dutch Schroeder was his favorite Baylor coach. Johnny (as a pitcher and outfielder) played a lot of baseball in those days for the Freshman Baylor Baseball Team (being the Baylor Freshman Baseball team's starting pitcher in 1964 against University of Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, and others) and for the well-regarded and very-solid Waco Braves semi-pro baseball team during 1964, 1965, 1966, and 1967. While playing for the Waco Braves in 1967 he set a team record that year as the only starting pitcher to hit an over-the-fence home run and be the winning pitcher in the same game. (He is currently a member of the Baylor "B" Association for former Baylor letter men).
Next he moved on to law school and after finishing the first year of law school and going deep into the first semester of the second year of law school, Johnny was drafted by the Pettis County Draft Board into the US Army. Military Draft Deferments (for educational purposes) were not available for law students in those days.
Upon completion of US Army Basic Combat Training and Leadership Training at Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri, Johnny was selected as "Top Man" on January 31, 1069 of his Basic Combat Training Company by the base commander Colonal Irving C. Hughes, Infantry Commanding. Johnny worked in Security & Intelligence (442nd Signal Battalion - 29th Signal Group - Southeast Asia / Northern Thailand) during the Vietnam era. This was not long after the Tet Offensive in Vietnam and things were pretty active in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. He did two tours of duty in north Thailand (November 1969 to November 1970 ... and ... November 1970 to August 1971). Johnny was awarded the US Army Commendation Medal in August 1971 for his performance during those Southeast Asia deployments. He also received the Republic of Vietnam Medal, and the Vietnam Service Medal.
After his military service, Johnny re-started the second year of law school and two years later he became a University of Memphis - Cecil C. Humphreys' School of Law - JD graduate.
After graduation from law school, he taught Business Law as a full time Assistant Professor at Central Missouri State University. (Later in his career, he also taught Business Law courses at State Fair Community College and Austin Community College as an adjunct instructor in addition to his then-current jobs).
Following that, Johnny practiced law in Sedalia, Missouri for 5 years in general law practice.
Next, he became a University of Missouri-KC Law School LLM graduate. The LLM Degree is the terminal degree in law.
Later, for more than 30 years, he worked as a consultant, advisor, contractor, service provider, or as an employee performing legal services and contracts management services.
Currently, in addition to his law practice in Bryan, Texas where he focuses in "Contracts Management", he owns and operates "Johnny Pickleball Sports" (a distributor / dealer of sports equipment in Bryan / College Station, Texas: (See -www.johnnyPickleball.com ).
Johnny's Career and Personal Goal;
*BLOOM WHERE PLANTED -
*DO THE RIGHT THING -
*NEVER GIVE UP -
"JOHNNY PICKLEBALL" IS A REGISTERED TRADE MARK OF JOHN E. MILLER
"PCAP" AND "CON-TRACTS.COM" ARE TRADEMARKS OF JOHN E. MILLER
(C) COPYRIGHT 2014 - 2017
JOHN E. MILLER
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
John ("Johnny") E. Miller is the founder, owner, and operator of "The Law Office of John E. Miller." In his multitude of legal services assignments and contracts management experiences as an advisor, an employee, a consultant, category manager, and as a contractor, Johnny has provided accurate, creative, innovative, prompt, and cost-effective legal services / contracts management solutions for many large, medium, and small businesses in many technology and industry domains. He works with buyers, sellers, resellers, suppliers, contractors, manufacturers, owners, OEMs, VARs, sales representatives, R & D entities, professional entities, service providers, SAS companies, software & technology licensees, software & technology licensors, and other parties. He is well regarded as a team player. He builds win-win lasting relationships with suppliers, service providers, customers, partners, collaborative entities, and other parties. Johnny is known for helping management, as needed, in expanding viable markets and sales channels, and collaboratively developing legal services and contracts management options. Likewise, he assists buyers with contractual issues in various category management areas. With his legal services and contracts management savvy Johnny has developed a reputation of engaging problems with a disciplined, process approach, and in an effective manner properly communicating with all stakeholders.
He has worked with the US Army, Central Missouri State University, Whiteman Air Force Base, State Fair Community College, Midwest Research Institute (MRI), Tracor Inc., Tracor Aerospace Inc., Austin Community College, Texas Instruments, Radian Corporation, Radian International LLC, Radian Engineering Inc., Radian SEA Limited, Pervasive Software Inc., Microelectronics Computer Technology Corporation (MCC), Total Chemical Management (TMC), URS, CH2M Hill, University of Texas at Austin, YRCI, Lumen Legal, Accenture, Accenture Procurement Solutions, BCForward, PCALLC, WellAware Holdings, Inc., Tango Flight Inc., and others.
JOHN ("JOHNNY") E. MILLER
Johnny's recently published National Contract Management Association (NCMA) "Contract Management Magazine" Articles and Johnny's Recent Articles in Other Publications:
* Fifty Tips for Your Statement of Work (SOW) - NCMA Contracts Management (CM) Magazine in August 2007. This article was awarded the 2007 Charles j. Delaney Memorial Award (presented by NCMA) as the most outstanding article in the CM Magazine in 2007.
* A Simple Template for Service Level Agreements (SLAs) - NCMA CM Magazine in April 2008
* The Preferred Provider Partnering Program (P-4) - NCMA CM Magazine in March 2009
* Your Four Step Negotiations Checklist - NCMA CM Magazine in Feb 2008
* Forty Indemnification Clause Review Tips - NCMA CM Magazine in March 2007
* Forty Five Non Disclosure Agreement Review Tips - NCMA CM Magazine in Nov 2006
* US Patents: Thirty Factors for Contracts Professionals to Consider - NCMA CM Magazine in Jan 2008
* Twelve Practical Reasons to Use Written Contracts with Suppliers and Service Providers - NCMA CM Magazine in Oct 2008
* Sixty Practical Contract Drafting Tips - NCMA CM Magazine in April 2006
* A Checklist for Joint Collaborative Agreements - NCMA CM Magazine in Oct 2009
* International Sales Agreements Checklist- NCMA CM Magazine in Jan 2010
* The Off Shore Outsourcing of Commercial Contracts Management (Original) - NCMA CM Magazine in April 2009
* The Off Shore Outsourcing of Commercial Contracts Management - (Re-published) - Texas Transnational Law Quarterly (State Bar of TX) in June 2009
* Business Insurance Broker Agreements - NCMA CM Magazine in May 2009
* Your Checklist for Outside Counsel Agreements (Original) -NCMA CM Magazine in July 2008
* Your Checklist for Outside Counsel Agreements (Re-published first time by Board of Contract Appeals Bar Association's "The Clause") in September 2008
* Your Checklist for Outside Counsel Agreements - (Re-published second time by Association of Corporate Counsel's "Docket" Magazine - in March 2010)
* Inventorship - NCMA CM Magazine - October 2010
* 115 Issues in Commercial Services Agreements for the Service Provider - NCMA CM Magazine - June 2011
* Contract Legalese Reduction Tips – NCMA CM Magazine - December 2012
* Start-Up Entity Intellectual Property Due Diligence Checklist - NCMA CM Magazine - September 2013
* Recommended Reading Reference to 14 Important, Practical, and Useful Inventorship Issues (October 2010 NCMA CM Magazine) on page 36 of Certified Professional Contracts Manager Study Guide – 2nd Edition (NCMA) 2011
* Recommended Reading Reference to 115 Issues in Commercial Services Agreements for the Service Provider (June 2011 NCMA CM Magazine) on page 154 of Certified Professional Contracts Manager Study Guide – 2nd Edition (NCMA) 2011
+ Managing Contractual Risk Issues in Commercial Contracts Management, NCMA CM Magazine, January 2014
* Breaking Down Anti Reverse Engineering Clauses To BuIld Up Practical Agreements (Januay 2017 CM Magazine)
Copies of any of these articles and others are available upon request
Sign up to get my email updates about interesting business-related legal issues.